This is another awesome recipe from America’s Test Kitchen’s Pasta Revolution cookbook. That is definitely one of our favorite cookbook purchases.
Total cooking time: About an hour
28 oz can Whole peeled Tomatoes
1 lb Hot Italian Sausage (no casings)
6 cloves Garlic, minced
1/2 tsp Red Pepper Flakes
3 cups Water
12 oz Ziti, uncooked
1/2 cup Heavy cream
1 oz (1/2 cup) Parmesan cheese, grated
1/4 cup fresh Basil, chopped
4 oz low moisture Mozzarella cheese, shredded
Directions: Adjust the oven rack to the middle. Preheat oven to 475 F.
- Pulse the Tomatoes in food processor.
- In and oven-safe skillet over medium-high heat (setting 7), cook sausage, breaking up meat with a wooden spoon, until no longer pink, about 4-6 minutes.
- Stir in garlic, and red pepper flakes. Cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Stir in processed tomatoes and 1/2 tsp salt. Reduce heat to medium-low (setting 3-4) and simmer gently, about 10-12 minutes.
- Stir in water and pasta. Cover and increase heat (back to 6 or 7) and cok at a vigorous simmer, stirring often, until pasta is tender, about 15-18 minutes.
- Stir in cream, Parmesan, and Basil, season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Sprinkle Mozzarella over top.
- Transfer, uncovered, into the oven and bake until cheese has melted and browned, about 10-15 minutes.