A modern take on a loaded baked potato! This recipe came from gimme some oven. Such a great idea!
We found that these perfectly hot potatoes went perfectly with Jalapeno Chicken. I bet it would also go nicely with cheddar ale soup or something similar since the potato on its own is pretty filling! See below to see how to cook both Jalapeno chicken and the potatoes.
Buffalo Hasselback Potatoes
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 60ish mins
2-4 Russet baking potatoes
4 TBSP Olive oil
Sea salt and Fresh cracked pepper
1/4- 1/2 cup Buffalo sauce (4 TBSP Frank’s Red Hot + 1 TBSP Butter, melted)
2 -3 oz Sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded
1/2 cup Blue cheese, crumbled
3-4 Scallions, finely chopped
3-4 slices Bacon, cooked and chopped
- Preheat the oven to 425 F
- Cut the potatoes in Hasselback style.
- Make sure your potato is sitting pretty flat to start with. If you need to, cut a slice off the bottom so that it rests flat. Using a sharp paring knife, cut slices about 3mm apart all the way along the potato. Slices should go about 3/4 of the way to the bottom, not all the way through.
- Brush the potatoes with olive oil then pat sea salt and pepper onto them.
- Place potatoes onto cookie sheet lined with foil.
- Bake in the oven for 60-70 mins basting every 15 mins or so with the olive oil drippings. Add more olive oil if the potatoes get too dry looking.
- While potatoes are cooking, prepare the rest of the ingredients.
- To make buffalo sauce, mix red hot sauce with melted butter to a ratio of 4 TBSP red hot sauce: 1 TBSP melted butter.
- When potatoes are out of the oven, top with prepared ingredients and enjoy
To simultaneously cook Jalapeno chicken and Buffalo Hasselback Potatoes
First get all of your ingredients for both recipes as ready as possible. Convection ovens are helpful!
Preheat the oven to 425.
Get the potatoes all set per recipe above. When ready to put into the oven, turn the oven to convection.
Bake the potatoes alone for 30 minutes stopping once or twice to baste with olive oil. While this is happening, get your chicken ready for the oven.
After the 30 minutes. Decrease the oven temp to 350, leave convection on. Add the chicken to the oven with the potatoes. Cook for another 30 mins, again pulling the potatoes out every 10-15 mins or so to baste them. This is especially important once the potatoes start to open up a bit. Rearrange the position of the potatoes and chicken halfway through, just to ensure even cooking.
It took about 35 mins for the chicken to be cooked through.