This recipe comes from a personal favorite, the Smitten Kitchen. I haven’t made any changes to the recipe… these are just my own personal hints for cooking on my stove.
1/2 cup granulated sugar
4 TBSP unsalted butter
1/4 tsp sea salt
3 TBSP heavy cream
3 oz (85 grams) unsweetened chocolate, roughly chopped
1 stick (4 ounces or 115 grams) unsalted butter, plus extra for pan
1 cup (200 grams) granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1 tsp (5 ml) vanilla extract
1/4 tsp sea salt
2/3 cup (85 grams) all-purpose flour
- Set a square of parchment paper over a medium-sized plate. Lightly butter or coat the parchment with a spray oil, just as an added security measure.
- In a medium, dry nonstick saucepan with the stove on 7.5, melt sugar; this will take about 5 minutes, stirring with a wooden spoon if necessary to break up large chunks.
- By the time it is all melted, if should be a nice copper color; if not, cook until it is.
- Remove from heat and stir in butter. It may not incorporate entirely but do your best.
- Stir in cream and salt and return saucepan to the stove over medium-high heat, bringing it back to a simmer and melted again any sugar that solidified.
- Cook bubbling caramel for a few minutes more, until it is a shade darker.
- Pour out onto parchment-covered plate and transfer plate to your freezer.
- Freeze until solidified, about 30 mins.
Meanwhile, or when your caramel is almost firm, make your brownies
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line an 8×8-inch square baking pan with parchment, extending it up two sides. Butter the parchment or spray it with a nonstick cooking spray.
- In a medium heatproof bowl over gently simmering water, melt chocolate and butter together until only a couple unmelted bits remain.
- Remove from heat, and stir until smooth and fully melted.
- Whisk in sugar, then eggs, one at a time, then vanilla, and salt.
- Stir in flour with a spoon or flexible spatula.
- When caramel is firm, remove it from the freezer and chop it into rough 1-inch squares.
- Gently fold all but a small amount of caramel bits into batter.
- Scrape batter into prepared pan, spreading until mostly even.
- Scatter remaining caramel bits on top.
- Bake in heated oven for 30 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cool thoroughly — a process that can be hastened in the freezer before cutting into squares.