The perfect spring cake recipe. I ran across this on Pinterest and it actually turned out perfectly.
For the cake
- 2 1/4 cups cake flour
- 1 TBSP baking powder
- 1/2 tSP kosher salt
- 1 1/4 cups low-fat buttermilk
- 4 large egg whites
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 tsp grated lemon zest
- 8 TBSP unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 tsp pure lemon extract
For the icing
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- 8 TBSP unsalted butter, softened
- 2 3/4 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 1 TBSP freshly squeezed lemon juice, (from about 1/2 a large lemon), plus 1 TBSP if needed
- 1 TBSP freshly grated lemon zest
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/8 tsp kosher salt
Preheat oven to 350 F
- Grease two 9 inch round springform pans, parchment paper is not needed.
- In a medium bowl, sift together Cake Flour, Baking Powder, and Salt
- In a separate medium bowl whisk together the Buttermilk and Egg Whites
- In the bowl of the stand mixer, add Lemon Zest and Sugar. Using your fingers, rub the lemon zest into the sugar until sugar is moist and well combined.
- Add the Butter to the mixing bowl and mix on medium speed for a minimum of 3 minutes, until the mixture is light and fluffy.
- Mix in the Lemon Extract.
- Add in 1/3 of the Flour Mixture, then beat on medium speed until combined.
- Continue on medium speed and add in 1/2 of the Buttermilk Mixture.
- Add another 1/3 of the Flour Mixture, then add the remaining Buttermilk Mixture. Beat until smooth.
- Stir in the remaining Flour Mixture, then continue mixing on medium speed for at least 2 more minutes until well combined and very airy.
- Divide the batter evenly between the two pans and use a spatula to level off the tops.
- Bake for 35-40 mins until springy and a toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow to cool for 10 mins before removing the springform pan. Then remove the cakes from the bottom pan, and allow them to cool on a wire rack.
Prepare the icing:
- Use the stand mixer with the paddle attachment.
- Mix the Cream Cheese and Butter on medium speed for at least 3 minutes until well combined and smooth.
- Reduce to stirring speed and add in the Powdered Sugar, Lemon Juice, Lemon Zest, Vanilla, and Salt. Once the sugar begins to incorporate increase the speed to medium.
- Mix on medium speed for at least 3 minutes until the ingredients are well combined and frosting is light and fluffy. May add additional Lemon Juice if needed to thin.
- You may need to put the cake in the refrigerator for an hour or so to set the icing.