This stew like recipe comes from the American Test Kitchen. It’s best served with some buttered egg noodles.
Total prep time: 30 minutes
Total cook time: 10 hours
3 Onions, minced
1/4 cup Sweet Paprika
1/4 cup Tomato paste
3 TBSP Vegetable oil
6 Garlic cloves, minced
1/2 tsp Caraway seeds
2 cups Low-Sodium Chicken broth
1/3 cup Soy sauce
1/4 cup Minute Tapioca
2 Bay leaves
4 lbs Boneless Beef Chuck roast, trimmed and cut into 1 1/2 inch pieces
1/3 cup Sour cream
2 TBSP Parsley, minced
- Microwave the Onions, Paprika, Tomato paste, Oil, Garlic, and Caraway seeds in a bowl, stirring occasionally for about 5 minutes, until onions are soft. Then, transfer to a the slow cooker.
- Stir in Broth, Soy, Tapioca, and Bay leaves.
- Season the Beef with salt and pepper then nestle into the slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low for 9-11 hours.
- When done cooking, skim the fat from the surface. Discard the Bay leaves.
- In a bowl combine 1 cup of stew liquid and Sour cream. Then add this into the stew.
- Add extra Broth to adjust the consistency of the stew.
- Stir in Parsley, then salt and pepper to taste.