- 6 tbsp butter
- 3 lbs onions
- Mix of yellow, Vidalia, shallot, red, etc
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup Sherry
- 64 ounces chicken or beef stock
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp fish sauce
- 1 tsp cider vinegar
- Crusty bread
- Gruyere cheese
- Melt butter. Sauté onions until soft.
- Reduce heat, caramelize for 1-2 hours. Stir frequently. If liquid evaporates, add a teaspoon of water and continue until golden brown.
- Add sherry. Scrape up any browned bits. Simmer until alcohol burns off.
- Add stock. Put thyme and bay leaf in strainer. Bring to a boil, then simmer for a minimum of 20 minutes. Remove thyme and bay leaf.
- Add fish sauce and cider vinegar.
- Ladle a small portion into ramekins. Add a slice of bread. More soup, another bread, cheese. Broil until cheese is golden brown.