- 2 lbs onions, peeled and sliced
- Use a variety: Vidalia, yellow, white, red, shallot, etc
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cubed and rubbed with salt, pepper, and ground thyme
- Splash of red wine
- 3 cups beef bone broth
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 cup shredded Gruyere
- 1 baguette, sliced
- Melt 3-4 tablespoons of butter, add onions and a pinch of salt in a Dutch oven. Caramelize, stirring frequently, for 1-2 hours.
- Meanwhile, sauté chicken in butter until well-browned. Drain and set aside.
- After caramelized, add balsamic vinegar to onions.. Be careful not to deglaze pan, if possible. Remove onions from pan and set oven to 350F.
- Deglaze pan with a splash of red wine. Add another 3-4 tablespoons of butter and melt. Add flour, whisk into a blond roux.
- Add bone broth a little at a time, whisking constantly. KEEP SMOOTH. Adjust flavor with salt and pepper and ground thyme as desired.
- Add chicken and onions. Mix thoroughly. Top with cheese.
- Bake until cheese is golden brown.
- Put baguette slices into bowls. Spoon stew over the top.