- 1/2 cup (120 ml) spiced rum
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) soy sauce
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) cider vinegar
- Juice and zest of 4 limes
- 1/4 cup (50 g) dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) black peppercorns, cracked
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) ground cloves
- 4 teaspoons (20 ml) minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons (10 ml) minced ginger
- 6 scallions (green and white parts) sliced
- 2 Scotch bonnet chilies, coarsely chopped
- 12 skin-on, bone-in chicken thighs
- Cornstarch (as needed)
- Fill and preheat the water circulator to 152F.
- In a small saucepan, bring the rum to a low boil over medium heat. Immediately remove the pan from the heat and ignite the rum to burn off the alcohol. BE CAREFUL! Let the flame burn itself out. Allow to cool.
- In a large bowl combine the rum and remaining ingredients.
- Place the thighs into a gallon ziplock with the sauce. Using Archimedes Principle, remove all air from the bag and seal. Repeat with a second ziplock for additional protection.
- Submerge in the water bath and cook for 4 hours.
- Remove the chicken from the bag over a large saucepan. Collect all drippings and sauce. Heat saucepan to reduce sauce. When sufficiently concentrated to taste, add cornstarch until thickened as desired. Great on rice!
- Quickly sear the chicken, skin side down, over a ripping hot grill for 3-4 minutes. Flip chicken once and sear for 1-2 minutes.
- Serve immediately!