This is a really easy and very tasty recipe. It’s a great way to enjoy some barbecued meat on a summer weeknight since the crockpot will do the hard work for you. This recipe comes from our favorite Slow Cooker Book
Total cook time: 4-6 hours
Hands on time: 15 minutes pre slow cooker, 20 minutes after slow cooked
2 tsp chili powder
1 tsp sweet paprika
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
Salt and Pepper
1 1/2 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs
1 1/2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 1/2 cups barbecue sauce, divided into 1/2 cup and 1 cup (we like Sweet Baby Ray’s Hickory Brown Sugar)
- Mix Chili powder, Paprika, Cayenne, Salt, and Pepper together.
- Rub the mixture over all the chicken. Add the chicken to the slow cooker.
- Pour 1/2 cup BBQ sauce over chicken, then toss the chicken to coat it evenly.
- Cover and cook on low 4-6 hours.
- Transfer the chicken to a large bowl then shred. Cover it to keep warm.
- Skim the fat off the crock pot liquid.
- In small saucepan, heat and reduce the barbecue sauce at a simmer for about twenty minutes.
- Toss the shredded chicken with the reduced barbecue sauce and 1 cup of the crock pot liquid. Add more crock pot liquid as needed to keep moist.
- Serve on a bun.
- Thoroughly mix some chicken broth with barbecue sauce. Pour over chicken and either microwave or bake.