A cheesy, chicken, and broccoli classic!
NOTE: This recipe requires a little bit of hands on time at both the beginning and towards the end. Read the instructions all the way through before cooking.
Total Cook Time: 20-30 minutes hands on prep, 4- 6 hours on low, + 30 minutes.
3 TBSP Vegetable Oil, divided
1 Onion, minced
4 Garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp dried Thyme
3 TBSP All-purpose Flour
1 cup Low-sodium Chicken Broth
1/2 cup Heavy Cream
1 tsp dry Mustard
2 lbs boneless skinless Chicken Thighs, trimmed
2 cup Instant Rice
4 oz (1 cup) Cheddar cheese, shredded
1 oz (1/2 cup) Parmesan cheese, shredded
12 oz Broccoli florets, cut up
FOR THE TOPPING:
2 slices White Bread
2 TBSP Butter
salt and pepper
Italian Panko breadcrumbs (to cover)
Cheddar cheese (to cover)
- Heat up 2 TBSP of oil in a skillet. Add Onions, Garlic, and Thyme. Cook until onions are softened and browned, about 8 minutes.
- Stir in the Flour and cook for 1 minute.
- Whisk in the broth, scraping up browned bits, and smoothing out lumps. Transfer the mixture to the slow cooker.
- Stir in Heavy cream and Mustard.
- Season the Chicken with salt and pepper then nestle it into the slow cooker coating both sides evenly in the sauce. Cover and cook for 4-6 hours on low.
- Break up the chicken into bite size pieces with a wooden spoon.
- Stir in Rice, Cheddar, Parmesan, and 1 tsp Salt. Cover and cook on HIGH until the rice is tender, about 20-30 minutes.
- Microwave the Broccoli with 1 TBSP of oil until tender, about 4 minutes. Stir Broccoli in to the slow cooker and allow to heat fully through, about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the breadcrumb topping: pulse the Bread slices in a food processor until coarse crumbs.
- Melt the butter in a skillet. Add the Breadcrumbs and season with salt and pepper. Stirring often, toast them till lightly browned, about 5-7 minutes.
- Top the casserole with the breadcrumbs.
- Place casserole under broiler until browned.