This recipe is just mildly altered from it’s original. It comes from Guy Fieri, White lasagna with spicy turkey sausage and ‘shrooms.
A couple of notes… The first time we made this, the grocery store was out of turkey sausage. I thought, well, how big of a deal can that really be? Turns out though, it was a dealbreaker for me. The traditional italian sausage way overpowers everything else about this dish and it was just too much for me. My husband loved it, but he even agreed that it was a bit much.
Another suggestion, I was worried with the amount of meat going into this that it needed something else. I found that adding spinach was the perfect compliment. It toned down the overpowering abundance of sausage, at least a little bit. This is also useful since I eliminated the zucchini, which neither my husband nor I really care for.
Lastly, the sauce and cheese mixtures really don’t seem like quite enough, so be very careful to follow the instructions when “building” your lasagna. The amounts are very precise and you don’t want to run out of cheese or sauce.
Total cook time: About 2 hours 30 minutes
Hands on prep time: about 1 hour 30 minutes
For the White sauce:
3 TBSP unsalted Butter
4 TBSP Flour
3 cups whole Milk
2.6 oz (3/4 cup) Parmesan cheese, grated
Salt and Pepper, to taste
For the Lasagna:
1 TBSP Olive oil
2 lbs hot Italian Turkey sausage
2.5 oz (3/4 cup) Button mushrooms, sliced
5-6 oz Spinach, rinsed and chopped
Salt and Pepper, to taste
2 tsp granulated Garlic
15 oz whole milk Ricotta
1 large Egg
3.5 oz (1 cup) Parmesan cheese, grated
1 package, no-boil Lasagna noodles
8 oz Mozzarella, shredded
2 TBSP Parsley, finely chopped
Preheat the oven to 350 F. Prepare your dish by spraying with non-stick cooking spray.
Make the Sauce:
- Heat a saucepan to medium-high heat. Then add the Butter and allow to melt.
- Add in the Flour and stir with wooden spoon for about 2 minutes.
- Add in the Milk and bring to a boil while continuing to stir.
- Reduce heat to low and allow to simmer for 1 minute.
- Remove from heat and whisk in the Parmesan cheese.
- Season with salt and pepper. Then, set aside.
Make the Lasagna:
- In a skillet over medium-high heat, add the Oil and the Turkey sausage. Cook until just beginning to brown, about 5 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and continue to cook until the turkey is golden brown and mushrooms are softened.
- Add in the spinach and allow it to just wilt, about 1 minute.
- Season with salt and pepper, then set mixture aside.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine Ricotta, Egg, Parmesan, 1/2 tsp Kosher salt, and 1/8 tsp cracked Black Pepper.
- Build your lasagna (Follow directions or you will run out of ingredients):
- Spread 1/4 cup of sauce in the bottom of your dish
- Top with 3 lasagna noodles
- Then 1 cup of Ricotta mixture
- Followed by half of the Turkey mixture
- Followed by 1 cup of sauce
- Then followed by 1/3 of the Mozzarella.
- Repeat starting with 3 lasagna noodles.
- After this second layer top with 4 lasagna noodles.
- Spread the remaining white sauce.
- Top with the remaining Mozzarella
- Cover with foil then bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven, then remove the foil. Turn on the broiler.
- Place back in oven under the broiler and allow the top to just brown, about a minute.
- Garnish with parsley.