My absolute favorite holiday treat!
Total cook time: About 3 hour 30 minutes
Total hands on time: about 1 hour
Yummy Caramel Bars
32 Caramels (usually one bag is enough)
2.6 oz (1/3 cup) evaporated milk
1 cup flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 cup old fashioned oats
1 1/2 sticks (3/4 cup) butter
1, 6 oz package semisweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup pecans, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Lightly butter an 11 X 7 inch baking pan.
- In a double boiler, combine caramels and evaporated milk. Heat, stirring occasionally, until caramels are melted and mixture is smooth. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a large (not kitchenaid) bowl, sift flour, baking soda, and salt.
- Stir in brown sugar and oats.
- Cut in butter until mixture looks like coarse crumbs.
- Turn half of the oat mixture into prepared pan and press evenly into bottom.
- Bake 10 -15 mins until lightly browned.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle evenly with chocolate pieces, pecans, then reserve caramel mixture.
- Sprinkle remaining oat mixture evenly over the caramel.
- Return to oven and bake 20 mins more, until lightly browned.
- Set on a wire rack to cool for about 35 minutes.
- Chill in refrigerator for 2 hours, until caramel layer is set.
- Cut into bars, and store into an airtight container.