This recipe is a real throwback. These cookies don’t have any modern techniques, or modern ingredients. But they are simply good. Yet another cookie that brings me back to holidays with my family.
Total cook time: 4 hours
Total hands on time: 30 minutes
1 3/4 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
6 TBSP shortening, softened
1 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup cold water
1/2 cup almonds, chopped
- Preheat oven to 400 F. Use ungreased baking sheets.
- In a separate bowl, sift together dry ingredients – flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon
- In mixing bowl, cream together shortening and brown sugar.
- Stir in water
- Stir dry ingredients into dough.
- Add in almonds.
- Mix thoroughly with hands.
- On a sheet of waxed paper, press into a long roll. Wrap, and chill, until stiff. About 2-3 hours.
- Cut into thin slices, place on cookie sheets.
- Bake for 5-6 minutes until lightly brown.