Probably one of my favorite cookies ever. Such great memories of making these cookies with my family. These are great to make with kids! They can either be topped with sprinkles before they go into the oven, or frosting once they come out. Either way, they are a must around holiday time.
Total cook time: About 90 minutes
Granny’s Sugar Cookies
1/2 cup butter, softenened
1 cup sugar
1 large egg
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp baking powder
2 cups flour
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
Note: Decorate with sprinkles before the cookies go into the oven, or with frosting once cookies come out of the oven.
- Preheat the oven to 400 F. Lightly grease the cookie sheets.
- In the mixer, cream together the butter and sugar.
- Blend in the egg.
- Sift together salt, baking powder, and flour. Then gradually add in to the dough.
- Blend in vanilla extract.
- On a clean counter top, roll out small batches of dough, and cut with cookie cutters.
- Bake for 8-10 mins per batch.