Here’s another great recipe from the Test kitchen, from Pasta Revolution. Pretty easy to make and shockingly good!
Total prep/cook time: 1hr 15 – 25 mins
12 oz Vermicelli
4 oz sliced deli Pepperoni, chopped fine
1 onion, chopped fine
1/2 tsp Red pepper flakes
3x 14.5 oz cans diced tomatoes, puréed
8 oz Mexican cheese blend, shredded
3/4 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup fresh basil (one 0.75oz package), chopped fine
1 1/2 cups water, plus more as needed
1. With oven rack in the middle position, preheat oven to 475 F. Grease a 9 in pie plate.
2. Cook the Vermicelli until al dente. Drain, then return to the pot.
3. Meanwhile, cook pepperoni in a skillet until crisp, about 2 minutes.
4. Stir in onion and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
5. Stir in red pepper flakes and cook for about 30 seconds.
6. Stir in tomatoes and simmer until sauce has thickened and reduced, about 10 minutes.
7. Add 2 cups of sauce, cream, cheese, and basil to the pasta. Toss to combine.
8. Transfer the pasta into prepared pie plate and press mixture into place with a spatula to flatten.
9. Bake until golden and bubbling, about 15 minutes. Then, let cool for 10-15 minutes.
10. Meanwhile, add the water to the remaining sauce and simmer until the sauce is thickened, about 25 minutes.