This recipe originally from Jamie Oliver. There are a few small changes from the original that, in my honest opinion (imho) I think improve on it!
Total cook and prep time: About 2 hours
One whole chicken – grain fed or organic is best
fresh ground pepper
1 cinnamon stick
2 lemons, zested
5 whole garlic cloves, skin left on
565 mL (2 cups) milk
Preheat the oven to 375 F.
- Heat oil in an oven safe pot. Season the whole chicken with sea salt, pepper, and cayenne.
- Fry the chicken in oil on all sides until golden. Then remove it from a plate and discard the oil.
- Place the chicken and the rest of the ingredients back into the pan. (don’t clean it out first).
- Cover with a lid or foil and bake for 1 hour, basting once.
- Remove the cover and cook for another 30-45 minutes, again basting.
- To serve, cut chicken and serve with the sauce.
P.S. This goes great with oven roasted potatoes!