1, 28 oz can whole peeled tomatoes, drained with juice reserved
2 TBSP olive oil
1/4 cup onion, finely chopped
1 TBSP tomato paste
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
salt and pepper
1/3 cup Vodka
1/2 cup Heavy cream
1 lb Penne
2 TBSP fresh basil, chopped
Parmesan cheese, grated
4 Spicy turkey sausage (removed from casing)
0. If using, brown sausage in frying pan. Drain and set aside.
1. Pulse the tomatoes in food processor until smooth. Combine the tomatoes and reserved juice to make 2 cups. Discard the remainder.
2. Heat oil in large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and tomato paste. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is softened and lightly browned, 5 to 7 minutes. Stir in garlic and pepper flakes and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
3. Stir in tomato mixture and 1/2 tsp salt. Off heat, add vodka. Return sauce to medium-high heat and simmer, stirring often, until alcohol flavor is cooked off, 8-10 minutes. Stir in cream and cook until heated through, about 1 minute.
4. Meanwhile, cook penne till al dente. Drain pasta, reserving 1/2 cup cooking water. Return pasta to pot. Add sauce (and sausage, if using) and cook over medium heat, tossing to combine, until pasta absorbs some sauce, 1-2 minutes. Stir in basil, season with salt and pepper, then add some reserved cooking water as needed to adjust consistency. Serve with Parmesan.