Now I have no idea who Mrs. C is or how we came across her dinner pie, but I don’t care! This is one of those recipes from childhood that brings back so many fond feelings. I have my big sister Wendy to thank for this recipe. She is, I’m pretty sure, entirely responsible for my love of spinach. I remember some dinners where she would make cooked spinach and butter special, just for us, since I know (as kids, anyway) we were a spinach loving minority! I remember Wendy making Mrs. C’s sausage and spinach pie 0r at least convincing my non-spinach loving mom to make it for us… as I said, fond memories, a happy comfort food!
Mrs. C’s Sausage and Spinach Pie
1 lb Sweet Italian sausage
2, 10 oz. packages of frozen spinach – thawed and drained
16 oz. fresh Mozzarella, shredded
8 oz. Ricotta cheese
1/2 tsp Salt
1/8 tsp Pepper
1/8 tsp Garlic powder
Pie crusts (top and bottom)
1 TBSP water
Directions: Preheat the oven to 375 F
1. Brown the sausage in a skillet then drain.
2. Reserve 1 egg yolk.
3. In a large bowl, combine remaining eggs, sausage, spinach, mozzarella, ricotta, salt, pepper, and garlic pepper. Set aside.
4. Fit one half of the unbaked pie crust into a 9in pie pan. Turn the sausage mixture into the pie shell.
5. Top with the other half of the pie crust.
6. Cut slits into the pastry top. Then brush the top with mixture of reserved egg yolk and water.
7. Bake at 375 F for 1 hr and 15 minutes or until the pie is golden brown.
8. Let the pie stand 10 minutes before cutting.