This is the recipe that came with our spaetzle maker. Plus our adaptation for cheese spaetzle. It’s pretty awesome.
1 cup milk
3 cups flour
1/2 Tsp salt
1/4 Tsp nutmeg
Butter and salt – for flavor
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs until foamy. Then add the milk.
- In a separate bowl, mix together flour, salt, nutmeg.
- Add the dry ingredients in stages, stirring between each addition. The dough will be very stiff and elastic. (If the dough is too thick add 1 TBSP water at a time until reaching the correct consistency)
- Meanwhile, have large pot of water with a dash of salt boiling.
- Add the dough to your spaeztle maker and allow the dumplings to drop into the water.
- The dumplings are done when they float to the surface of the water (approx. 2-3 minutes)
- Use a slotted spoon or strainer to retrieve the dumplings.
- Toss in butter and salt.
Preheat an oven to 350 F
The Spaetzle from above
1 1/2-2 cups Ementaler, Gruyere, Cheddar, or any other very meltable cheese (don’t use swiss)
1 TBSP butter
A few TBSP bread crumbs
- Take the spaetzle that you’ve made above. It will take at least two loads to make all the spaetzle. After each load put the spaetzle into a casserole dish. Add 1/2 TBSP butter and at least 1/2 cup cheese.
- Top everything with the last 1/2 cup of cheese, and breadcrumbs.
- Cover and put into the oven just until heated through.