These are Rob’s Nonna’s cookies. His childhood favorites!
Grandma Magazu’s receipe for Italian cookies
Total cook time: About 4 hours
For the cookies:
10 cups Flour
2.5 cups Sugar
1.5 TBSP Baking powder
1.5 tsp Baking soda
1.5 tsp Creme of tartar
2 cups Crisco
6 Jumbo Eggs
1 TBSP Vanilla extract
3/4 cup Milk
For the glazes:
Lemon extract (yellow food coloring)
Almond extract (green food coloring)
Vanilla extract (blue food coloring)
- Sift the flour and the dry ingredients into a large bowl
- Cut the Crisco into the flour by the teaspoon. It should look like sand.
- Beat the six eggs and then add the milk and other wet ingredients. Beat together.
- Slowly add the wet ingredients into the flour while mixing with a wooden spoon. You may give a final mix with hands but wash hands often.
- Knead the dough until it’s smooth. Take care not to over handle it.
- Dust the top of the dough with flour. Cover it with a clean, damp cloth. Let it sit for one hour
- Take dough and roll, then cut with cookie cutters and/or roll pieces into tube lengths and curl them like a snail.
- Arrange in a good baker’s cookie sheet. Bake at 350 degrees for 8-10 minutes
Glaze: 1 cup of confectionary sugar with a bit of milk to desired consistency and almond flavoring with a touch of lemon juice. You may flavor the glaze as you wish.