READ THE INSTRUCTIONS ALL THE WAY THROUGH BEFORE MAKING!!
Cook Time: 2 hours
Prep Time: 1 hour-ish
Braised Beef Stroganoff
serves 4 to 6
Vegetable oil or clarified butter
2 pounds braising beef (Sirloin steak tips)
3 tablespoons flour
1 cup red wine
2 cups unsalted beef broth
4 tablespoons butter
1 onion, diced
1 pound mushrooms (I used oyster, shitake, and cremini), cleaned and sliced
1 (8-ounce) carton sour cream (I used light)
Freshly ground black pepper
Flat leaf parsley, to garnish (optional)
Preheat the oven to 300°.
- Freeze the beef for 20 mins. Then dice into 1 inch cubes. Pat dry
- Salt and pepper the beef, allow to rest for a little while.
- In the All Clad (or a dutch oven) Melt 3 Tbsp butter on high heat. Add the beef and braise for about 3-5 minutes (DO NOT COOK ALL THE WAY THROUGH). Work in batches if necessary, but add all the beef back once done with this step.
- Add 3 tbsp of flour and stir till it’s mixed entirely, about 1 minute.
- Add wine to deglaze then allow to reduce by half, about 10-15 minutes.
- Add the beef broth and bring to a boil
- Once at a boil, cover and place in the oven for 1 hour 30 mins (if using steak tips; longer 2:30 mins for crappy steak). Basically until the meat is very tender.
- Allow to cool for about 15 minutes then season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat butter over medium heat. Saute the onions until softened.
- Add the mushrooms and cook until golden brown and tender, about 12 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and onion to the beef sauce.
- In a medium bowl, stir one cup of the beef sauce into the sour cream.
- Fold the sour cream mixture back into the rest of the beef sauce.
- Season to taste.
- Gently reheat over low to medium-low heat if necessary.
- Serve over Papperdelle noodles.