Total cooking time: A while.
Ingredients for everything
1 lb extra lean ground beef
1 medium onion(s), chopped
8 oz canned tomato sauce
1/4 cup red wine, dry
1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
8 oz uncooked penne
2 large egg, lightly beaten
18 oz (2 1/4 cups) fat-free evaporated milk, divided
1 TBSP butter
2 TBSP all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp table salt
1/8 tsp black pepper
2 large egg white(s), lightly beaten
1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese, divided
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Coat a 9×13 in glass baking dish with cooking spray
- Get all of your ingredients ready.
- Red sauce
- tomato sauce
- 1 beaten egg
- 3/4 cup evaporated milk
- White sauce
- salt and pepper
- 1 1/2 cup evaporated milk
- 1 beaten egg
- egg whites
Make the meat sauce and pasta
- In a skillet over medium-high heat, brown the beef and onion. About 10 mins. Drain off fat.
- Stir in tomato sauce, wine and cinnamon.
- Bring to boil and then reduce heat to medium-low; cover and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package directions; drain and put into a large bowl.
- Combine pasta with 1 beaten egg, 3/4 cup of evaporated milk; toss to combine and set aside.
Make the white sauce
- Melt butter or margarine in a small saucepan over medium heat
- Stir in flour, salt and pepper.
- Gradually add 1 1/2 cups of evaporated milk
- Cook, stirring, until thickened and slightly bubbly, about 5 to 8 minutes.
- Very gradually stir 1 beaten egg and egg whites into hot milk mixture (be careful not to ‘scramble’ eggs); set aside.
Make the casserole
- Layer half of pasta mixture in prepared dish
- Spread with meat sauce
- Sprinkle with 1/4 cup of cheese.
- Top with remaining pasta mixture
- Pour cream sauce over top and sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Cover and bake for 20 minutes.
- Uncover; bake about 15 minutes more or until a knife inserted in center comes out clean.
- Let stand 15 minutes before slicing into 8 pieces.